An NFC reader is able to setup and sustain communications with a tag or a NFC controller in all NFC modes. The ST25R NFC readers provide multiprotocol support for 13.56 MHz communications such as ISO 14443 Type A or B, ISO 15693, ISO 18092, FeliCa and NFC Forum protocols. Our NFC reader ICs and chips integrate an SPI interface to communicate with a host microcontroller.
As a main provider of Near-Field Communication technology, ST's complete NFC reader portfolio will help you design and develop the most effective and secure contactless solutions for all embedded, payment and automotive applications.
New ST25R3916: High-performance NFC Universal Device & EMVCo Reader
Thanks to its outstanding performances and unique features, our new NFC universal device ST25R3916 is ideal for payment applications. It is also a perfect fit for a large diversity of consumer and industrial applications, including access control, gaming, IoT, pairing, brand protection, product configuration, authentication and traceability.
- 1.6W output power at 5V
- Active Wave Shaping
- Automatic Antenna Tuning (AAT)
- Noise Suppression Receiver
- Dynamic Power Output (DPO)
- Capacitive & Inductive Wake-Up (CIWU) for power saving
- Full compliance to all relevant NFC standards
ST25R39xx Series: High performance NFC readers
The ST25R39xx series includes high performance NFC HF Reader ICs with unique features, such as Automatic Antenna Tuning (AAT), Dynamic Power Output (DPO), Inductive / Capacitive wake-up and active wave shaping. Operating modes supported are Reader Writer and P2P (peer-to-peer) modes.
ST25R39xx NFC readers for Payment and Point of Sales (POS) terminals
Boasting EMVCo & PBOC certifications, the ST25R3911B, ST25R3912, ST25R3913, ST25R3916 reader ICs provide a complete solution for mobile (mPOS) and traditional contactless POS payment terminals.
Unique features ensure designers fast time to market and compliance with relevant NFC specifications, faster EMVCo certification and reduced BOM.
ST25R39xx NFC readers for Automotive Applications
ST25R3914, ST25R3915 and ST25R3920 are highly integrated NFC initiators / HF reader ICs for automotive applications (full AEC-Q100 grade 1 certified). They feature ultra-low power wake-up modes and reliable performance even in metallic environment. Our automotive-grade NFC chips and reader ICs are ideal for car access, start and driver authentication, pairing, data transfer, in-car payment or NFC enhanced protection for Qi wireless charging.
ST25R95: NFC integrated reader and transceiver IC for contactless applications
The ST25R95 provides multiprotocol support for 13.56 MHz communications. Operating modes supported are Reader/Writer and Card Emulation modes, thus covering a wide spectrum of applications. It also supports the detection, reading and writing of NFC Forum Type 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 tags.
NFC/RFID Calculators to support your design
Our NFC / RFID set of calculators can help you with your ST25 NFC designs:
- NFC Inductance Calculator provides the inductance value of a 13.56MHz rectangular antenna based on your footprint requirements and it applies to all ST25 Tag and Reader products
- NFC Tuning Circuit Calculator provides the component values of the matching network for a given NFC antenna and it applies to ST25R Readers
Questions / Answers around NFC readers
What are the main applications of an NFC reader?
NFC readers are key devices in many different applications, including:
- Contactless payment
- Physical access
- Bluetooth / Wi-Fi pairing
- Public transport and ticketing
- Brand protection and product authentication
- Automotive (car access, engine start, pairing capacities, personalized driving experience, car rental/sharing)
- Industrial, initiating P2P communication to mobile phone, item tagging and tracking